Based on social identity theory, the authors predicted that in ongoing intergroup competition, people’s strength of social identification will have a positive impact on their behavioral efforts on behalf of an ingroup when its current status is low, whereas this will not be the case when its current status is high. In a first experiment, male participants showed the expected pattern of behavior. Female participants, however, tended to display opposite reactions. As a possible explanation, it was argued that the experimental procedure may have inadvertently evoked a gender-based stereotype threat for female participants. In an attempt to obtain more consistent support for their hypothesis, the authors therefore replicated the experiment with modifications to avoid such a threat. These changes proved to be effective in the sense that this time the predicted interaction effect between ingroup identification and current group status was obtained for both male and female participants.
Life is full of challenges. We experience difficulties, hurdles, setbacks in every walk of life. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.
So, do not get disheartened when things go wrong. Keep moving towards your goal. Each and every one of us faces problems that we find difficult to overcome.
Forget about grown up adults, even small children find things difficult and complicated at times. In such situations, we get scared, confused, and uncertain and become negative. But, wait, is this the only way?
Richard was a bright student during his school-going days, one of the top in his class. When he entered college, his father suffered a huge loss in business and his family came under debt.
Richard had to leave his studies to help his father overcome this difficulty. In this situation, he lost the hope of completing his studies and making a corporate career.
But, his father told him, if we can come out of this debt and re-establish our business, then you can also achieve your goals. Richard then decided to face this challenge. He worked hard, saved money for his studies and also kept on supporting his father. He started giving private tutoring in the evening.
His positive attitude and hard work paid off. When his father came out of debt, Richard completed his MBA and joined a big corporate house as a Marketing Trainee and today, after 5 years, he is Marketing Manager. He has successfully overcome the biggest obstacle of his life and has achieved what he wanted.
Like Richard, we all face challenges that we find so hard to deal with that, at times, we give up hope and adapt a negative approach towards situations in life.
It’s quite natural that, as humans, we worry about the uncertainties of our life and future. But adapting a negative approach or giving up hope is not the solution to a problem. In order to handle challenges in a positive way, we should have a positive approach towards all situations in life .
- Accept challenges as a part of life – If good times are a part of our lives, so are bad ones. Accept the reality that life is a combination of positives and negatives.
- Believe in yourself– When faced with a problem, say “I can overcome it,” rather than becoming negative, getting worried or feeling uncertain. Attitude matters.
- Every day is a new start, new hope – Start every new day with a lot of hope and positivity. If you had a bad or tough experience yesterday, let it go with the passing day. Do not think that the coming day will also be bad.
- Success is valued when you try hard to achieve it – Only after hardships and dealing with challenges or obstacles, can we know how sweet the feeling is of overcoming them and achieving success.
- Well begun is half done – We all know if we start on a good and correct note, the work is easier. Whenever dealing with a problem, be positive. Your problem will seem less difficult to overcome.
- Every tough experience makes us a better human being– We all evolve and learn and learn from the experiences we go through. So, rather than complaining about the problem, look at the positives and how they help you grow and learn new lessons of life.
Conclusion – When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Gets Going
As said earlier, life is full of challenges and difficulties and they will be a part of our life forever. We cannot run away from all these tough situations. So, instead of complaining about the problems, face them bravely and positively, with a confidence in you, that you can overcome them. Look for solutions and try to move on. Life is about “Survival of the fittest.” Those who adapt to the tough situations, emerge successful.
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going. The interesting thing about this is that the last two words, “gets going” can be interpreted in two ways. It can be thought of as ‘gets going’, as in, gets working to overcome the problem or it could mean flee the situation
Tough times also pass, giving way to happy and good times. There is always a bright sunshine after the dark night. So, love your life and live it to the fullest, cherish every moment.
Be tough on problems, do not be tough on life. (Tweet this)
Always remember – “When the going gets tough, the tough gets going”.